Sunday, January 31, 2010

we did it...

well, that is if I can make it through tonight without getting that cheeseburger I've craved. 31 days, about 14 lbs, 2 belt holes and the annoyance of reading every label and asking every waitress... I am done. It was insightful. I do not want to be a vegan. I see things differently. I learned a lot and I will pay more attention to what goes into my body, but I do not mind using a few animals. It would be hypocritical for me to be vegan. I am not an activist, and if I were, I don't see where you draw the line. The ultimate outcome would be to sell off everything and go to darfur, afghanistan or haiti or some crazy-ass 3rd world place and dedicate yourself to helping those who really need it and never consume, purchase, or use anything. But no, I am not - and I feel, for me, cutting out dairy and the occasional chicken sandwich would just be silly in the grand scheme of things. I applaud anyone who does this (good job), but it is not for me. Thank you to my vegetarian and vegan friends for all the encouragement, recipes and support.

I do recommend you try this. It's a good way to kick-start a healthy diet, lifestyle or just make you aware of what you put in your body. I actually don't crave meat as much as I did and will probably cut back, maybe meat four or five times a week (very little red meat) - not to save the animals, but to save my cholesterol and fat ass from dying. One of the best things that came out of it was I had to cook a bunch and Angie and I spent a lot of time together in the kitchen. (she needs all the practice she can get ;))

Month 2 - I have revamped month 2 into *WELLNESS* there are hand motions and like a little musical intro that goes with that... *WELLNESS* it needs to be said with a light airiness whhellnessss, anyway it's about overall health and well-being. A regiment of a few things... rising at 6 a.m., morning meditation followed by light exercise and breakfast, sensible meals and in bed no later than 10. Sounds normal enough. The focus is on meditation, of course, but I felt a need for the other to make it a routine. I doubt this will have the drama or mood swings the vegan diet had, but one can only hope and hey, it's only 28 days this time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

food/eating meditation!

Chrissy said...

congrats! i'm glad to hear you survived a month of veganism, and very impressed with your weight loss. february sounds like it will be a good challenge as well! those are all goals i try to make every week it seems, and succeed about half the time.

Jeffie said...

I have the ability to do things in a regiment only if held accountable. this thing is keeping me accountable.