Monday, January 4, 2010

Vegetables

Animal free for 4 full days. I can't say that I have gone without meat for more than a couple of days? I have a fantastic memory of my (at the time) 70+ year old tiny grandmother hunched over from osteoporosis chasing down a chicken with lightning speed and decapitating it with an axe: All in some sort of surrealistic, kung-fu ballet. I must have been around 5, I see it all; her pale bluish dress; the slow-motion, headless, flopping, stark white bird; the backdrop of deep green pine trees. It all sounds barbaric, but at the same time wonderful - a house full of people... the smell of fried chicken... everyone smiling - all because of that chicken.

This is a hard question: Why do we eat meat? We evolved because we ate meat. Omnivores - that's what we are. There are good arguments on both sides. I don't have the answer. Commercial farms are sad, tofu is dumb.

This is just as hard as I thought it would be. Roasted Vegetable Soup for dinner.

 



1 comment:

Zay said...

that looks delicious!