Monday, January 11, 2010

true story

So, I am gobbling down this organic-granola-cardboard-animal free cereal the other day (in soy milk). It was particularly cold outside, so I let my still-carnivorous dog in - where she took her place on the rug beside me. I stood up to wander around and fish the last bits of "food" from the bowl. Having felt confident in the eradication of the cereal, I tipped the bowl back to drink the "milk". I looked down at my beautiful majestic dog in repose on the rug and thought "what a great dog." At that moment, I realized I had missed a piece of the "cereal" and it was now lodged in my esophagus just enough as to completely restrict airflow. I sat my bowl down and tried coughing... no luck... after what seemed an eternity (and zero help from the dog), I thought to myself, "this is it: veganism killed me". Simultaneously, the morsel jostled loose and with a violent cough went flying across the room - landing just inches from my dog's nose. Without missing a beat, without lifting her head, she stuck out her tongue and ate it.

11 days down. I am contemplating the move after this in regards to meat. I am thinking about meat free days or only consuming meat once or twice a week. I don't know yet 20 days to go.     

1 comment:

Zay said...

I'm so glad you survived today.