Friday, February 19, 2010

down dogs

I sit down this morning to knock out a 30 minute meditation. Time to clear my mind and face the morning sun... I think to myself "this is awesome." The house is empty, the sun is rising and what a way to start the day. I do a couple quick stretches and a little bend and twist and slowly ease into the sitting position - ready to reach nirvana. I close my eyes, feel the warm sun on my face, hear the peaceful roll of the waterfall from outside (ohhhh, this is going to be the one)... in breath is great, out breath is good - no distractions - in my mind, no worries.

SQUEAK... Whine... Growl... open my eyes - 3 dogs... 3 cold dogs. I try to push them out of my head, in breath - out breath... SQUEAK. Screw it. I let them in. 5 minutes of look at me, pet me, what were you eating, smell my butt, and everyone settles down. Sun is still up. I find a seat I close my eyes again. In breath - out breath - with a faint scent of dog breath. I open my eyes and there is a dog staring at me 2 inches away from my face... I ignore her, she lies down. Okay, breathe in - breathe out, thoughts drift off to things. I bring them back... in - out, in - out. Off to my right, my smallest dog has reached maximum nirvana on the couch and has taken on a nice hardy snore, drowning out the waterfall and my attention. I sink my breathing with hers and go on my way. FOCUS. Then (tooooot) the big dog farts and that's it for me. Meditation will wait.

Next month vote ------->

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

Dog spelled backwards is God. Fart smelled backwards is still not so great.

I thought of another challenge - no driving for a month! Get around by hitch-hiking, public transport, bicycling. This would be easier for me, as I live in the center of town, but easy is boring.

Unknown said...

Reminded me of this video.

http://vimeo.com/3319096

Zay said...

Oh the joys of pet ownership. :) But oh how they make for great stories.

KB said...

For some reason, I could smell dog farts as I was reading this. Gr-oss.